The front deraileur on my Lightning Stealth recumbent seems to be messed up. It wont shift to the biggest ring. It will try, but it just wont go out far enough. And it seems to be going out as far as it can. The limiting screw is all the way out. I don’t think it was damaged in a crash, but I think it is worn out. The cage seems like it has been bent at least slightly. The back/bottom of the cage gets really close to the teeth of the big ring, while the front/top part is still a ways away.

I have played with the derailuer position, but it hasn’t improved it.

If I pull the cable as much as possible, it trys to shift onto the big ring. Then if I physically push the cage just a little further (to it’s max) I can get it to shift. It seems like the cable just doesn’t have any more leverage to pull it out.

I looked up the Shimano RSX, and in 1997 it was the lowest group of the road groups.

One thing I need to check is whether the cranks are pressed on enough. I think the previous owner said something about having the bearings replaced. If the chainring side crank isn’t pressed on enough, the big ring would be farther out, and the derailuer would need to push the chain out farther…

I found an eBay auction for a Shimano Deore DX M650 Front Derailleur. (I did a buy it now) I think this might work. If it doesn’t, I can always remount the RSX.